How to be your own interior designer!

12/04/2017 08:00:00 pm Unknown 0 Comments

As an interior designer I get asked a lot of questions about decorating and design. Not just by clients, but by would-be clients, friends, family and neighbours too – which is where the idea for running a workshop first started.  There are lots of people out there looking for a little interior design guidance (and a good night out!) So after weeks of planning and preparation, I ran my first workshop last Monday: How to be your own interior designer. I have to say a huge thank you to the lovely ladies who came along and made it such a fun evening. I really enjoyed doing it and, judging by the feedback, so did they!

All photographs: Jon Holloway




So I thought I'd share a few pictures of the evening itself (eek – I think this is the first time I've ever blogged a picture of myself!?)



We started by finding out a little more about each other and any current interior design projects.



Then moved on to how to define your own interiors style e.g. what do you do if you don't know where to start? Or if you just love everything – the latest Scandinavian minimalist spread from Living Etc, AND that eclectic boho living room you pinned months ago? Oh, and the latest modernist interior from Grand Designs....sound familiar?





Next up we explored colour – a little bit of theory and some hands-on exploration.  You can't beat paper, scissors and glue for getting in touch with your creative side!








I truly believe that loving where you live is good for mind, body and soul. Everyone can create a home they love with a little planning and enthusiasm, but some of us seem to enjoy that process more than others! That's why I wanted my workshop to be more than just a list of top tips – I wanted to give people confidence in making choices and a simple structure to use when embarking on any interiors projects. Plus lots of inspiration of course!

If this looks like fun to you, then I'm running the course again on Thursday 1st February, 7-10pm at Phlox Books on Francis Road, Leyton. This little road is a hidden gem in East London and the next 'place to be' so come and see before everyone else gets in on the act! Bring a friend, a sister, your mum or come on your own and have a creative evening out. There's a free drink, delicious nibbles from Yardarm and a goody bag to take home at the end of the evening too! Click here to book now, as places are strictly limited.

I'll finish on the quote I started the workshop on....

------------------------
------------

'Design is not benign. It enhances or hinders our lives.' 

------------
------------------------

Well said, Mitzi Beach!



0 comments: